- The market town of Bourne, Lincolnshire, England -
A GRAMMAR SCHOOL has existed in Bourne since
the Middle Ages and there are a number of references to the names of
headmasters after 1580, either in the bishop's or the parish
registers. One of these who was given permission to teach scholars
within the parish of Bourne in 1625 was Edmund Lolley M A of
Magdalene College, Oxford, who had already been Vicar of Bourne for
12 years. He died in 1632 and his will directed that his books and
clothes should be sold for the benefit of his only son, also called
Edmund, "to bring him up at the school". There was a rapid
turnover in staff about this time and the names of seven different
schoolmasters appear in the records during the first 30 years of the
There were several attempts to revive the school in subsequent years but it was never re-opened for its original purpose. It was eventually replaced by a secondary school that became the present grammar school in 1921. Two years later, in January 1923, the school was sold by the church for a nominal sum of £100 to the secondary school and the board of governors has administered the building ever since. It has largely been unused during that time although in the Second World War, the premises became an ambulance station and a meeting place for the Girl Guides.
The building has been badly neglected in recent years and in April 2003, it was condemned as unsafe and all entry forbidden. The roof was leaking and repairs were estimated at £20,000 and although some maintenance has been carried out since, the future of the property remains uncertain.
An illustrated history of the Old Grammar School can be found in A Portrait of Bourne