ALTHOUGH Folkingham is now merely a large
village, it was once an important place in Lincolnshire because it was the
seat of the Quarter Sessions, the higher court that dispensed justice for the
area, which is why the austere House of Correction, or prison, was built here.
The present building dates back to 1808 and replaced an earlier one that stood in the village Market Place, and consists of the original 19th century gateway and governor's house, faced in cold stone and with arched windows half blanked off and half grilled.
The prison was modified over the next forty years and contained several punishment devices including a tread wheel, whipping post, stocks and a hand crank. It was closed in 1878 but was taken over in recent years by the Landmark Trust, an organisation that seeks out unusual and empty buildings throughout Britain and turns them into holiday accommodation with all mod cons and that is what has happened with the House of Correction that became a favourite stopping place with visitors from America and Japan. The stocks and whipping post have been preserved in the village church.
A detailed history of the House of Correction can be found on