N.A.S.S Dingwall Branch Information Page

Any information given in these web pages are not intended to be taken as a replacment for medical advice. Any person with a condition requiring medical attention should consult a qualified doctor or therapist

Overdose of Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID)

This represents a wide variety of medications. The most common is ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin) and is available without a prescription.

FIRST AID: Administer ipecac: 2 tablespoons for adults and 1 tablespoon for children ages 1 to 12. Dosage should be followed by several cups of water to induce vomiting. Use ipecac only within 30 minutes of ingestion, and only if the patient is NOT sleepy. Less than 6 tablets of Advil (200mg) in a 25 Lb child would usually require ipecac treatment. Notify your poison control centre or emergency room for confirmation.

RELATIVE TOXICITY: Although acute NSAID overdoses often appear mild, there is insufficient data in the current litreature to accurately assess the range of toxicity. Data on ibuprofen suggest ingestion of less than 100 mg/kilogram of body weight are relatively well tolerated. Ingestion of other NSAID's (other than ibuprofen) should be considered potentially toxic, as they are not recommended for use in children. NSAID's primarily affect the nervous system and the GI tract.

TOXIC EFFECTS: Nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, and abdominal pain are the most common symptoms. Gastrointestinal bleeding may also occur. Seizures and coma have been reported.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Administer ipecac following the above guidelines, and contact your local emergency room or poison control centre IMMEDIATELY.

REMEMBER: Bring the remaining pills and the original container to the hospital.