Psychology of learning mathematics
Assignment structure (Ernest 2000)
Title: carefully expressed to reflect the focus of the essay
Title: Divergent thinking and the dialogue between biology and mathematics.
(keywords: - mathematics education, biology, divergent thinking, history)
Introduction: 500 words
Review of literature: 2000 words
Methodolgy: (theory of methods, validity) 1000 words
- purpose of your essay, enquiry / experiment
- its significance (i.e. a justification)
- Write this last?
Results of the investigation: 2000 words
- brief account of objectives of investigation
- details of the research paradigm and methodology
- planned gathering of data, methods, and their limitations
- divergent vs. divergent-convergent bias.
- language (figural, numeric, semantic)
- divergence vs. memory (informed testing vs. objective testing)
- PLM - Notes - 8/2/00. Measures of
mathematical attainment and divergent thinking.
- Significance of tests
- PLM - Notes - 20/3/00. Tests of
divergent thinking vs. memory. Possible role of Q methodology.
- PLM - Notes - 21/3/00. Vygotsky and
problems of method.
Conclusions: 500 words
- data, results and outcomes
- distinguish discription of results from your interpretation
- validity and generalisability of results
- link back to review of research
- summary of findings and significance
- what could you improve (eg. methodology)?
- Fisher exact 2x2 test
Links at this site...
Links at other sites...